Contribution Limits

The IRS sets guidelines for how much you can contribute to an HSA each year. Following are the limits for 2013 and 2014:

  Individual Family
2013 $3,250 $6,450
2014 $3,300 $6,550

You have until the tax-filing deadline (generally April 15) of the following year to make allowable contributions.

Excess Contributions
If you contribute more than the allowable amount to your HSA by accident or because you ended coverage in an eligible health plan, you will have to count the extra amount as taxable income and pay a 6% penalty.

To avoid paying taxes and incurring a penalty, you can fill out an Excess Contribution and Deposit Correction Request Form (PDF) to have excess funds returned to you. 

Catch-up Contributions
If you are 55 or older, you can make “catch-up” contributions, meaning you can deposit an additional $1,000 per year. If your spouse is also 55 or older, he or she may establish a separate HSA and make a “catch-up” contribution to that account.

Mid-Year Qualification
When you enroll in a high-deductible health plan and open an HSA before the first day of December, you can contribute the total allowable amount for that year. To take advantage of the tax savings, however, you must stay enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health plan for the following 12 months.

If you end your coverage under a high-deductible health plan, you should calculate the pro-rated allowable contribution based on the number of months you had qualifying coverage. If you're 55 or older, be sure to include any catch-up contributions you made to determine the pro-rated amount.

If your contributions exceed the allowable amount, you can fill out an Excess Contribution and Deposit Correction Request Form (PDF) to have excess funds returned to you. This way, you won't incur a penalty or have to pay taxes on the extra contributions.

Health savings accounts (HSAs) are individual accounts offered by Optum BankSM, Member FDIC, and are subject to eligibility and restrictions, including but not limited to restrictions on distributions for qualified medical expenses set forth in section 213(d) of the Internal Revenue Code. State taxes may apply. This communication is not intended as legal or tax advice. Please contact a competent legal or tax professional for personal advice on eligibility, tax treatment, and restrictions. Federal and state laws and regulations are subject to change.